Amon G. Carter Stadium is an open-air football stadium on the campus of Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas. It is the home stadium of the TCU Horned Frogs football team. It was named after Amon G. Carter, a prominent Fort Worth businessman, newspaper publisher, and city booster.The stadium in currently undergoing a $164 million renovation, which began immediately after the 2010 football season and will be completed by the beginning of the 2012 season.
Amon Carter stadium was constructed from 1929 to 1930 with an original seating capacity of 22,000. The stadium hosted its first football game on October 11, 1930, when TCU defeated the University of Arkansas.
The first the expansion of the stadium took place in 1948, with construction raising the capacity by 8,500 to a total of 30,500. In 1951 and 1953, 2,500 and 4,000 more seats were added which raised capacity to 37,000 seats. An upper deck, topped by a two-story press box and highlighted with a large stylized "TCU," was
In 2000 TCU completed construction of the nearby John Justin Athletic Facility which houses team offices, lounges, locker rooms, meeting rooms, and a museum housing TCU's many athletic trophies, including Davey O'Brien's Heisman Trophy.The Sam Baugh Indoor Practice Facility, completed in 2007, is also located nearby. In August 2011 TCU opened a brand new state of the art weight room and training facility.
The Armed Forces Bowl, previously the Fort Worth Bowl, has been played annually at Amon Carter Stadium since 2003. The bowl game was temporarily moved, however, to SMU's Gerald Ford Stadium in Dallas for the 2010 and 2011 bowl seasons due to the renovation.An earlier bowl game, the Fort Worth Classic, was played in Fort Worth at the predecessor to Amon Carter Stadium in 1921.