The Ambassador Theatre is a Broadway theatre located at 219 West 49th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan. Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp for the Shuberts, the structure is unusual in that it is situated diagonally on its site to fit the maximum number of seats possible. Its external appearance, indistinguishable from many other Broadway houses, does not hint at the strange layout within. The building has been designated a New York City landmark. The theatre's grid height is 54 feet 9 inches (16.69 m).
The theatre opened on February 11, 1921, with the musical The Rose Girl (Music: Anselm Goetzl; book & lyrics: William Carey Duncan). The Shuberts sold the property in 1935, and for the next two decades it was used as a movie theater and television studio for NBC and the DuMont Television Network. In 1956, the Shuberts assumed ownership again and returned it to strictly legitimate use.