The Albany Rural Cemetery was established October 7, 1844, in Menands, New York, just outside of the city of Albany, New York. It is renowned as one of the most beautiful, pastoral cemeteries in the United States, at over 400 acres (1.6 km2). Many historical American figures are buried there.
On April 2, 1841, an Association was formed to bring the cemetery into being. A committee of the Association selected the site on April 20, 1844. The cemetery originally contained 100 acres (0.40 km2). This portion was consecrated October 7, 1844. The first interment was made in May, 1845. Located near the entrance is the Louis Menand House.
In 1868, bodies from other cemeteries were removed and reinterred in Albany Rural Cemetery.
In 1886, President Chester A. Arthur, the 21st President of the United States, was interred at Albany Rural Cemetery in Lot 8, Section 24, along with his wife Ellen Lewis Herndon Arthur, who had died in 1880. His memorial was designed by Ephraim Keyser and dedicated on June 15, 1889. Friends of the former president contributed a fund that provided $10,000 for the memorial and for a statue that was erected in New York City.