Formerly called La Chapelle, the land that was to become Abbeville was purchased by founding father Pere Antoine Desire Megret (Pere is French for 'Father'), Capuchin missionary, on July 25, 1843 for $900. Megret named the town after his home in France. There were two people living on the land at that time, Joseph LeBlanc and his wife Isabelle Broussard, whose former home Father Megret converted into a chapel. The chapel burned in 1854, and St. Mary Magdalen Catholic Church now stands at the same location. Abbeville is a town in and the parish seat of Vermilion Parish, Louisiana, United States, 150 miles (241kilometers) west of New Orleans. Abbeville is in the heart of "Cajun Country", and is home to Many restaurants that specialize in the authentic tastes of the region. Abbeville is the principal city of the Abbeville Micropolitan Statistical Area, which includes all of Vermilion Parish. It is also part of the larger LafayetteAcadiana Combined Statistical Area.