257 Central Park West, constructed between 1905 and 1906, currently is a co-op apartment building located on the southwest corner of 86th Street and Central Park West in the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City. Designed by the firm of Mulliken and Moeller and built by Gotham Building & Construction, the structure was erected as a luxury apartment house originally called the Central Park View. Mulliken and Moeller had recently finished The Lucerne, on the corner of 79th and Amsterdam, and the Bretton Hall hotel, on the east side of Broadway from 85th to 86th Streets.
When Mulliken and Moeller began working on the Central Park View in 1905 for an investor group known only as the Monticello Realty Company, they were also designing the Severn and Van Dyck apartment buildings (found on the east side of Amsterdam Avenue between 72nd and 73rd streets) for a separate client. In the following year, Mulliken and Moeller designed Rossleigh Court, the adjoining and similarly designed apartment building located on the northwest corner of 85th Street and Central Park West. In 1909, Dr. H. F. L. Ziegel and his wife, Beatrice, added the adjoining Neo-Georgian residence at 8 West 86th Street.
Situated opposite the 86th Street transverse to Central Park West on the southwest corner, the Central Park View’s design followed the popular “French Flat” model in a Beaux Arts-style, modified to conform to the size of a twelve-story structure. Upon its completion, the new hotel anchored the eastern end of the developing West 86th Street. On the western end of West 86th Street, the Columbia Yacht Club had relocated to a site adjoining the Hudson River in 1874 and remained the other West 86th Street bookend until 1937. 257 Central Park West is located within the Upper West Side-Central Park West Historic District, designated on April 24, 1990.