The Union Trust Building on the corner of Main Street and Occidental Way South (Occidental Mall) in Seattle, Washington, USA, was one of the first rehabilitated buildings in the Pioneer Square neighborhood, now officially a historic district. In the 1960s, when the neighborhood was better known as "Skid Road", architect Ralph Anderson purchased the building from Sam Israel for $50,000 and set about remodeling it, a project that set a pattern for the next several decades of development in that neighborhood. Anderson also rehabilitated the adjacent Union Trust Annex.
The Main Building:
The four-story building was one of the many that went up in the "burnt district" in the years after the Great Seattle Fire of 1889; it was erected in 1893. Highly praised at the time of its construction, it was designed by the architectural partnership Skillings and Corner (Warren Porter Skillings and James N. Corner). Used in its early years for a series of wholesale businesses (including Roy & Company, H N. Richmond and Company and John B. Agen), it was designed to carry loads of 250 pounds per square foot. The National Grocery Company occupied space in the building until moving into the much larger National Building at Western Avenue and Madison Street in 1904 which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Union Trust Annex:
The adjacent Union Trust Annex (1900–1901) continues a similar design; the architect is unknown, but it was not Skillings and Corner. The name Union Trust Annex dates only from the 1970s. The use of light brick was, by then, a well-established practice. It was built for Ernest Thurlow, and was intended for his Superior Candy and Cracker Company; the Seattle Cracker and Candy Company was already operating in the adjacent Union Trust Building.