Coptic Cave is a sea cave in the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar. The cave was intended to be used as a decoy to protect Operation Tracer. This was a plan to leave behind spies should the British lose control of the Rock of Gibraltar in World War II. The eight meter high cave was named after a lamp that was discovered in 1937 which was mistakenly thought to be of Coptic origin. The lamp is now thought to be Roman and to have been brought to Gibraltar by Vandals or Byzantines.
During World War II this cave and Beefsteak Cave were chosen to be part of Operation Monkey which created two decoy caves. These caves were intended to deflect any investigation by invaders of Gibraltar who were looking for spies left behind by the British. The real plan to leave behind spies in a cave was called Operation Tracer and the existence of this plan was no more than a rumour until the cave was discovered in 1997 by the Gibraltar Caving Group.