Cankurtaran railway station is located in the neighborhood of Cankurtaran in the historic peninsula of İstanbul and is served by the İstanbul-Halkalı Line. The station is located on Ahırkapı Street and İshak Pasha Street. Cankurtaran station is just a block north of Kennedy Boulevard, along with the shoreline and a few blocks south of the Hagia Sophia and the Imperial Gate to the Topkapı Palace.
The station was built in 1872 by the Rumelia Railway as part of the extension of their mainline into İstanbul's city center. The station was rebuilt and electrified in 1955 for the start of commuter service between Sirkeci and Halkalı. Cankurtaran is located 2.1 km (1.3 mi) from Sirkeci Terminal.
Places of Interest:
The Ahırkapı Lighthouse, a historical lighthouse still in use, is in walking distance on the Kennedy Avenue at the coast of Marmara Sea.