Hammam-Lif is a coastal town about 20 km south-east of Tunis, the capital of Tunisia. It has been known since antiquity for its thermal springs originating in Mount Bou Kornine. Naro, which means fire, was Hammam-Lif's Punic name. In 1883, the French captain Ernest De Prudhomme discovered in his Hammam-lif residence the first archeological ruins of an ancient synagogue that once stood in Hammam-Lif in 3rd-5th century AD.
In the late 19th century, Hammam-Lif, and the rest of Tunisia were conquered by France and incorporated into the French empire. Tunisia gained independence in 1956. During the French occupation, Hammam-Lif was also conquered by Nazi Germany from November 1942 until May 1943. Hammam-Lif was once the home of Italian, Greek and Jewish communities, especially before the end of French occupation. Hammam-Lif's most interesting site is probably Dar El Bey, which was the residence of Ali II Bey, the 4th bey of Tunis.