Qihou Fort or Qihou Battery (Chinese: 旗後砲臺; pinyin: Qíhou Pàotái) is a historic fort in Qijin District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, formerly guarding northern entrance to Kaohsiung Harbor. First fortifications were built in 1720, during Kangxi's reign. After Japanese expedition in 1874 Chinese authorities constructed a modern fort, which in 1880 had new Armstrong's guns installed. It played no part in Sino-French War; the fighting in Taiwan took place around Keelung and during blockade French ships did not approach the port.
Taiwan was ceaded to Japan according to the Treaty of Shimonoseki in the aftermath of the first Sino-Japanese war. The local troops, however, fought on. On 12 October 1895, escadre commanded by admiral Arichi Shinanojo (cruisers Yoshino, Naniwa, Akitsushima, Yaeyama, Saien (ex Chinese Jiyuan, captured in Weihaiwei) and corvette Hiei) arrived at Kaohsiung and prompted the foreigners to evacuate, as they would conduct the attack on the next day.
The foreigners boarded gunboat HMS Tweed and two tugs and withdrew (only to return once the fight was over). At 7 am, 13 October, Japanese ships opened fire on the forts, which returned the fire, but were silenced after half an hour. The Chinese fired 24 rounds altogether, the best of which landed ca 500 yards from Japanese cruisers. The Japanese troops seized the forts in early afternoon, suffering no casualties (4 Chinese soldiers were killed).