Relatively square Moorish tower. After the reconquest of Caceres in 1170 by Ferdinand II of Leon, a relation of his set up the Caceres Congregation in the city, which was later to become the Order of the Knights of Santiago. The name of the tower comes from that of Caliph Abu-Ya'qub, whose troops took the city in 1173. Until they finally yielded to the siege, the tower had served the knights of the Order as a defensive bastion. It became known as the Clock Tower in the 16th and 17th centuries. It is currently open to the public.