Resurrected from underground. Malaga's Roman theatre remained hidden underground for many centuries. Malaga's Roman theatre lies at the foot of the Alcazaba fortress in the western part of the city. It was discovered in 1951, after having remained buried underground for many centuries. Dating back to the first century, it was built during the Empire of Augustus. It was used up until the third century.
The Arabs used parts of the theatre for their own building purposes. They took capitals and column shafts for their own Alcazaba fortress as support for the horseshoe arches over the doorways. The theatre has a radius of 31 metres is 16 metres tall and has an orchestra of 15 metres. The area has three main stands and gateways that lead into the stands (vomitorium).