Puerto del Rosario emerged at the end of the 18th century as a small cattle-raising centre on the current bay. The city, known then as Puerto de Cabras, was transformed in the middle of the 18th century into a prosperous commercial port, a fact which favoured it being declared capital of Fuerteventura in 1860, a status which until then was held by Betancuria.
A city which is excellently connected by sea and air, Puerto del Rosario currently provides the chief port of access to the island, as well offering a good many tourist attractions, such as mild temperatures year-round and the beautiful beaches which cover its coastline. Beaches such as Puerto Lajas, Jarugo and Playa Blanca, this last one equipped with modern infrastructure which includes hotels, restaurants, shops and sports facilities. Any of these places has optimum conditions for surfing, windsurfing or sailing, not forgetting underwater sports such as scuba diving or spear fishing.