Plaza de Colón (Columbus Square, in English) is located in the Alonso Martínez district of Madrid
. This plaza and its fountain commemorate the explorer Christopher Columbus, whose name in Spanish was Cristóbal Colón.The plaza, originally called "Plaza de Santiago
" (St. James Square), was renamed "Plaza de Colón" in 1893 to honour Christopher Columbus. The square contains two monuments.
On the Paseo de la Castellana (Promenade of the Castilian) side there is a monument to Columbus built in 1885. This is a statue of Columbus standing at the pinnacle of a tall column. He appears to be pointing west, indicating the route he would take towards the islands of the Caribbean.The second monument on the Serrano Street. side consists of concrete macro-sculptures by Joaquín Vaquero Turcios. The concrete blocks are decorated with inscriptions by philosophers and indigenous leaders.