Founded in the 15th century by Don Pedro Díaz de Toledo, an oidor or high court judge under King John II, the chapel was part of the parish of Santa María la Mayor. Features worth noting are the highly cambered semicircular arch decorated with Mudéjar plasterwork. The ceiling is made of wood and is reminiscent of the old Mudéjar coffered collar-beam roofs. It is currently the site of the visitor centre 'The Universes of Cervantes', dedicated to Miguel de Cervantes. Among other highly valuable pieces on display are the baptismal font and a reproduction of Cervantes' birth certificate, dated 9 October 1574. It also offers an extensive programme of temporary activities throughout the year.