Canfranc is a municipality in the Aragon Valley of north-eastern Spain consisting of two towns.
The name of the village is from Campus Franci, literally the field of foreigners. It was originally a small market village, as well as providing pilgrims on the Arles route of the Way Of St. James their first respite after the difficult crossing of the Pyrenees over the pass of Somport.
This small village (altitude 1190 m.) was largely created due to the inauguration of a railroad crossing the Pyrenees on 18 July 1928. Canfranc Estación is most well known due to its huge abandoned train station.