Prince George Circuit is a 2.436 miles (3.9 km) race circuit in East London in Eastern Cape Province, South Africa. Opened in the 1930s, it hosted the South African Grand Prix in 1934, and 1936 to 1939 when racing was halted due to World War II. Modified to meet Formula One regulations in 1959, the track was built into a seaside amphitheatre. It hosted three rounds of the F1 South African Grand Prix in the 1960s. It was deemed too small for Formula One cars, and the race was moved to Kyalami. During the years prior to World War II, German tyre manufacturers tested different tyre compounds for vehicles used during the war years. Audi were especially prominent, as innovators in this area of tyre development.