Otočec is a settlement on the left bank of the river Krka in the Novo Mesto municipality in southeastern Slovenia. It used to be known as the market town of Šentpeter. The area is part of the traditional region of Lower Carniola and is now included in the Jugovzhodna Slovenija statistical region. The local parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter and belongs to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Novo Mesto. It is first mentioned in written documents dating to 1406. It was rebuilt in the 17th and 19th centuries.