Sri Sivan Temple (Tamil: ஸ்ரீ சிவன் கோவில்) is a Hindu temple for the god Shiva who is the presiding deity. The temple was originally located in Potong Pasir from where it was moved three more times before finally coming to the present Geylang
Sri Sivan Temple was originally present in Potong Pasir. The Sivalinga was moved to a spot in the lower end of Dhoby Ghaut, then to a site near where MacDonald House stands today, and then on to the Orchard Road site where it used to be until 1983. The temple was rebuilt as a solid structure in the early 1850s at the Orchard Road site under which the Dhoby Ghaut MRT station is located. The Sivalinga was known to be worshiped at this site well before 1850.
In 1898, a further phase of the recorded development of the Sri Sivan Temple began. The reconstruction work took several years to complete. One Mr V Nagappa Chetty and his wife were responsible for this, largely with their own funds and from donations collected from local Hindus.
In 1983, the Government decided to acquire the land on which the temple stood. An MRT station was to be built underground. Therefore, a transit temple was built next to the Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple
at Serangoon Road
while a more suitable and permanent site was being identified. The temple was demolished and all its deities where temporarily shifted to a new site at Serangoon Road. All the god-forms from the Orchard Road Temple were installed in the new site at Serangoon Road which allowed for all daily prayers and festivals celebrated to be continued.
An order placing Sri Sivan Temple under the Mohammedan and Hindu Endowments Board (set up in 1907) was gazetted on October 18, 1915. In 1968, the Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) was formed to manage four temples including the Sri Sivan Temple. The Hindu Endowments Board (HEB) under the purview of the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) manages Sri Sivan Temple.
Several major festivals are celebrated at Sri Sivan Temple.