The Old Ministry of Labour Building currently houses the Family and Juvenile Court of the Subordinate Courts of Singapore. It is located at Havelock Square in the Outram Planning Area, within the Central Area of Singapore's central business district. The building stands on the site of the former Chinese Protectorate Building which was established in 1877 to protect and control Chinese immigrants to Singapore. The building has been restored and is now used as the Family and Juvenile Court of Singapore.
A grand Neo-Classical building built in 1928, the former Ministry of Labour Building is used by the judiciary and has been refurbished. In 1930, the building housed the Chinese Protectorate which was set up as an intermediary between the government and the Chinese community. Its role was to look after the welfare of the Chinese community; its work involved fighting the exploitation of prostitutes and coolies by their agents, the regulation of Chinese societies, and the control of triads.