The Merdeka Bridge is a vehicular and pedestrian bridge located in Kallang
in the south-eastern part of Singapore
. It spans over the river mouths of the Kallang River
River, which empty into the Kallang Basin. Designed by the Public Works Department the bridge was officially opened on August 17, 1956.
Visually, the bridge's only attributes were the two stone lions guarding its entrances and known as the Merdeka lions. These sculptures by Rudolfo Nolli have since been removed, first to Airport Road, and are currently placed at the SAFTI Military Institute in Jurong. Then they were moved to HQ 2PDF in Clementi Camp.