Mirny is a town and the administrative center of Mirninsky District of the Sakha Republic, Russia, located 820 kilometers (510 mi) west of Yakutsk on the Irelyakh River (Vilyuy's basin). Population: 37,188 (2010 Census); 39,981 (2002 Census); 38,793 (1989 Census). It was founded in 1955 after the discovery of a nearby kimberlite pipe by expedition led by Yury Khabardin. Town status was granted to it in 1959.
Within the framework of administrative divisions, Mirny serves as the administrative center of Mirninsky District. As an inhabited locality, Mirny is classified as a town under republic jurisdiction. As an administrative division, it is incorporated within Mirninsky District as the Town of Mirny. As a municipal division, the Town of Mirny is incorporated within Mirninsky Municipal District as Mirny Urban Settlement. There is a massive diamond pit in the town. It is 525-meter (1,722 ft) deep and has a diameter of 1.25 kilometers (0.78 mi).