Pasig, officially City of Pasig (Filipino: Lungsod Pasig) is one of the highly urbanized cities of Metro Manila in the Philippines and was the former capital of the province of Rizal prior to the formation of the grouping of cities designated as the National Capital Region. Located along the eastern border of Metro Manila, Pasig is bordered on the west by Quezon City and Mandaluyong City; to the north by Marikina City; to the south by Makati City, Pateros, and Taguig City; and to the east by Antipolo City, the municipality of Cainta and Taytay in the province of Rizal.
Pasig is primarily residential and industrial, but has been becoming increasingly commercial in these recent years. Pasig is one of the three municipalities appointed by the diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in the Philippines (as the Roman Catholic Diocese of Pasig), making the Pasig Cathedral (formerly The Immaculate Conception Cathedral) a landmark, coinciding to its township in the year 1573.
Here lies a nearly-extinct creek that played an important role amidst the days of the Philippine Revolution. Long before the Spaniards have reached and discovered the "Ciudad-Municipal de Pasig" in the year 1573, a thriving Muslim community (Barangay) was already been established along this creek, ruled by Rajah Lontok and Dayang Kalangitan of the Sultanate-Kingdoms of Tondo and Namayan (The present-day Metro Manila).
The creek was given the name "Bitukang Manok" (Tagalog for "Chicken Gut"), due to the serpentine shape of its waterway. Among its early dwellers consist of Ethnic Malays, the Chinese from Southern China (with their origins dating back from the Ming Dynasty), and the Indigenous Tinguian Nomads who migrated from the deep jungles of the Sierra Madre Mountain Range. The Bitukang Manok was once a principle tributary of the Marikina River. The Spanish Colonizers called the creek “Rio de Pasig”; however, the natives still referred to it as the Bitukang Manok.
The first stretch of the Bitukang Manok became known as the "Pariancillo" (Estero de San Agustin), where its shoreline was once settled by Chinese and Malay merchants to trade their goods with the natives, until it developed up to the 1970s as the city's main public market. Likewise, the creek contributed enormously to the economic growth of Pasig during the Spanish Colonial Era, through irrigation of its wide paddy fields, and by being the progressive center of barter trade.
The Bitukang Manok, also known as the "Parian Creek", had once linked the Marikina River with the "Antipolo River". Before the Manggahan Floodway was built in 1986, The Parian Creek was actually connected to the Sapang Bato-Buli Creek (which serves as the boundary between Pasig's barangays Dela Paz-Manggahan-Rosario-Sta. Lucia and the Municipality of Cainta), the Kasibulan Creek (situated at Vista Verde, Brgy. San Isidro, Cainta), the Palanas Creek (leaving Antipolo through Brgy. Muntindilao), the Bulaw Creek (on Brgy. Mambungan, besides the Valley Golf and Country Club), and the Hinulugang Taktak Falls of Brgy. Dela Paz (fed by the Taktak Creek passing close to the Antipolo Town Square), thus being the detached and long-abandoned Antipolo River.
Historically, Pasig produced rice, fruit and sugarcane.
The western part of the city is where most of Pasig's financial resources are primarily concentrated. It includes numerous factories, warehouses, establishments and commercial facilities. Primarily they situated in the Ortigas Center, Pasig proper and along E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue (C-5) and Ortigas Avenue. Real estate and commercial developments along Mercedes Avenue and other areas near the city center are developing.
The eastern part was mostly dominated with residential areas but numerous commercial establishment are now developing along Marcos Highway. Per capita income (GDP) of Pasig is $12,032 per year. The barangay of San Antonio has the largest income in Pasig, second only to San Lorenzo of Makati as the largest single income-generated government unit in the Philippines. Arguably more significant western part of Pasig, east of the city of Mandaluyong and as part of the barangay of San Antonio, lies the Ortigas Center