The Molino Dam or Prinza Water Dam is a gravity dam on the Zapote River located on the border between Barangay San Nicolas, Bacoor, Cavite and Barangay Talon Dos, Las Piñas, Metro Manila, Philippines. It was built by hand in the 18th century to irrigate the surrounding rice field in Las Piñas and Bacoor.
The San Juan de Imus Hacienda was purchased by Don Tomas de Andaya in 1685. The piece of land contiguous to Imus was then sold by Father Jose de Solis, a secular priest, to the Recollects in 1690. The third piece of land was handed down by Doña Hipolita de Zarate y Ozeguera in November 1666 to them, giving rise to Hacienda de San Nicholas.
Father Fidel de Blas, author of oft-quoted Labor evangelica de los Padres Agustinos Recoletos en las Islas Filipinas [Evangelical Labor of the Augustinian Recollect Fathers in the Philippine Islands] confesses the dismal plight of the haciendas:
From 1780 to 1893, the hacienda administrators built forty-five irrigation dams with tunnels, waterways, and irrigation canals in order to channel available water sources to excellent use, that way securing rice fields during extended drought periods. Father Ezekiel Moreno commenced the repair of Molino Dam in Bacoor, one of the hacienda's most useful dams. His predecessors appropriated considerable sums of money for breaking up untilled lands, putting up mangrove embankments, draining swamps, and building vital road arteries and streets. Also, a total of thirteen stone and brick bridges were constructed at the expense of Saint Nicholas province.
The Molino Dam is a man-made irrigation dam - its walls made out of adobe (height ranging from 25-30 stacks) and some parts of the flooring made out of cobble stones. Series of buttresses support its perimeter walls. Also, the growth of vegetation flourished because of the natural composition of the building materials. Balete trees and bamboo grasses were within the site. They contributed to the enhanced structural integrity of the dam.