The Plaza San Martín is one of the most representative public spaces of the city of Lima
. It is located at the ninth block of Colmena avenue, within the Historic Centre of Lima
which was declared a World
Heritage Site in 1988 by UNESCO. It is located near the Plaza Mayor
of Lima and is connected to it by the Jiron de La Union
. Its central monument gives homage to Peru's liberator, José de San Martín.
The construction of the buildings that surrounded the plaza occurred at a gradual pace. The Colón Theater and the Giacoletti buildings were the first structures to be built and were erected in 1914 before the construction of the plaza. The other buildings were later built in three stages. The Hotel Bolivar was built in 1924 and was designed by Rafael Marquina.
The Zela and Pumacahua arcades were built during the second stage in 1926 and also were designed by Rafael Marquina. The Club Nacional was built in 1929 by Ricardo de Jaxa Malachowski and Enrique Bianchi. In the third and final stage of the project from 1935-1945 the remaining flanks of the plaza were built up with the construction of the Cine Metro, Fénix, Boza, and Sudamérica buildings which were built in the Neocolonial style (similar to the Spanish Colonial Revival architecture).