The Plaza Mayor or Plaza de Armas of Arequipa, is one of the main public areas of Arequipa and the founding place of the city. Located in the historic center of Arequipa, around this Cathedral in northern Arequipa, Arequipa Portals east, south and west, Church Company south-east, The Church of Our Lady of Mercy south-west and center of the square bronze fountain.
When the city was founded on 15 August 1540 by Garci Manuel de Carbajal in the Chili River valley as "Villa de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora del Valle Hermoso de Arequipala" the city broke ground with her main square. Shortly after the town was founded, Charles V of Germany and I of Spain rose to the rank of city, by royal decree dated Fuensalida (Toledo), on 22 September 1541. In 1844 there was a great fire destroyed most of the old Cathedral, Arequipa Portals etc. so he was forced to rebuild. Reconstruction was the last major change that tube.
The Cathedral of Arequipa, built in ashlar (volcanic stone), with brick vaults, is the main church of the city that occupies the entire north side of the Plaza de Armas. Built entirely in ashlar, exhibits a neo Gothic Renaissance with some influence. Its facade is made by seventy columns with Corinthian capitals.
The cathedral has suffered several earthquakes. Most resañables occurred in 1666, 1668, 1687, 1784 and 2001. The earthquake caused damage of varying degrees in the Cathedral of Arequipa, but without seriously affecting its structure. After each earthquake, they proceeded to repair the damage. The earthquake of 2001, however, had one of its towers - left - completely collapsed. In 2002 the cathedral was reinauguraron Square after repair of damage due to the earthquake.
Portales de Arequipa
Main Square of Arequipa and looks three covers that previously functioned as the town hall of Arequipa in the colonial era and from the Republican era serve as the municipality of Arequipa. The portals have a Neo-Renaissance architecture and are made of granite.
In addition there was found the royal jail. Until the twentieth They also erected tents, under which are installed or ccatu Indian market. It received and held to the highest authorities loudly rises ordinances, military clearances, bullfighting, the processions and the prisoners were executed convicted in the "roll or pillory was a column or pillar stone erected in front of the town hall.
In the center of the square is a bronze fountain with a sculpture made of copper of a pixie with a trumpet, it is said that he once had wings, but over the years was lost, this sculpture is called Tuturu. There is a myth that says the tuturu depicting a sixteenth century soldier. The source closest to the character at hand was the priest and historian Ventura Travada and Cordova, who in his book: The floor of Arequipa become sky tells us about it: "corónala (referring to the stack) an angel for fame, by whose mouth water rises in a high tuft ... ".