Originally founded by Father Pedro de Mendoza in 1648, Museo de la Recoleta building plans were designed by Father Pedro Penaloza. This wonderful piece of architecture was modified in 1651 when cloisters were built higher along with a small church. Serving as a apostolate and missionary center during the colonial era, this campus then became Apostolic Missionary College in 1869. Much later it joined the Missionary Province of San Francisco Solano in 1941.
Presently Museo de la Recoleta comprises of four cloisters deployed of generous ashlar, ripple carpeted roofs alongwith numerous beams, panels, pinnacles, weather wanes and lanterns subtly adorning the beauty of Museo de la Recoleta. It is for the efforts of the local community that this beautiful piece of historic architecture was eventually converted into a museum in 1978.