Sauda is a municipality and industrial town in Rogaland county, Norway. It is part of the region of Ryfylke. Sauda was separated from Suldal in 1842. Sauda participates in the Haugaland Council and is under the jurisdiction of the Haugaland District Court.The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Sauda farm (Old Norse: Sauðar), since the first church was built there. The name is the plural form of sauðr which means "spring" or "issue of water". Before 1918, the name was written "Saude" (or "Søvde").
The coat-of-arms was granted on 14 May 1976. The arms show a river as a symbol for hydroelectricity. Historically, power was generated by watermills, providing a possibility for the development of an industry in the village. Presently, the power is used for melting metal ore in smelters in the municipality.