Samnanger is a municipality in the county of Hordaland, Norway. Samnanger was separated from Os on 1 January 1907. The municipality is located east of Bergen. Development of hydroelectric power plants started here in 1909.
The name originally belonged to the fjord (now Samnangerfjorden). The meaning of the first element is unknown, and the last element is angr which means "fjord".The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 27 April 1990. It shows six yellow drops of water on a red field. Water was chosen as a symbol on the arms because of the wet climate and the source of hydroelectricity that is prevalent in the area. The designer of the arms was Even Jarl Skoglund.