Kvitsøy is a municipality in Rogaland county, Norway. It is the smallest municipality in Norway (in area). Kvitsøy was separated from Mosterøy on 1 January 1923.The municipality is an archipelago situated 2 nautical miles (3.7 km; 2.3 mi) northwest of the coast of the Stavanger peninsula. The largest island is connected with only a few of the other islands in the archipelago.The Old Norse: form of the name was Hvítingsøy(jar) which means "the white island(s)", probably because there is white quartz in the rocks on the islands.The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted in 1989. The arms show three silver lighthouses on a field of blue.