Kongsvinger is a town and is a municipality in Hedmark county, Norway. It is part of the traditional region of Glåmdal. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Kongsvinger.A patch of land on both sides of the river Glomma with an area of approximately 5.2 square kilometres (2 sq mi) was separated from Vinger as a town named Kongsvinger by Royal Charter in 1854. The municipalities of Vinger and Brandval were merged with Kongsvinger on 1 January 1964. The new municipality of Kongsvinger briefly lost its status as a town after this amalgamation, but was later reinstated with its town status.
The first element Kongs- ("the King's") was added after the fortress was built in 1690. It was first applied only to the fortress (written as Königs Winger in old documents), then to the city that grew up around it and finally the modern municipality. The second element Vinger (Old Norse: Vingr) is an old district name which is still in use.