Bangor Castle in Bangor, Northern Ireland, was completed in 1852 for The Hon Robert Edward Ward. This imposing building is not so much a castle as an elegant mansion in the Elizabethan-Jacobean revival style. It has 35 bedrooms and incorporates a huge salon for musical recitals.
When the then municipal authority, Bangor Borough Council, acquired the Castle and grounds, the music saloon became the Council Chamber. The first Council meeting was held there almost exactly 100 years after the building-now known as the Town Hall was first completed. The successor to Bangor Borough Council, North Down Borough Council now sits at the Castle.