Waimate North is a small settlement in Northland, New Zealand. It is situated between Kerikeri and Lake Omapere, west of the Bay of Islands. Okuratope Pa was situated here and was the home to chief Te Hotete (father of Hongi Hika) of the Ngai Tawake hapu in the late 18th-early 19th centuries. A major disturbance took place here in 1800, when an attacking Ngare Raumati war party from Te Rawhiti murdered and ate chief Te Maoi's wife, Te Auparo as well as their daughter, Te Karehu.
This led to revenge attacks, which lasted over two decades; and resulted in the comprehensive defeat of the Ngare Raumati and the conquest of their lands by Ngapuhi (including Te Maoi and Te Auparo's three chiefly sons; Te Wharerahi, Rewa, and Moka 'Kainga-mataa'. It was one of the earliest centres of European settlement and features the second-oldest surviving European building in New Zealand, at Te Waimate mission. The first European wedding in New Zealand was conducted on 11 October 1831 at the St John the Baptist church, when William Gilbert Puckey (26), son of a Missionary carpenter, William Puckey, married Matilda Elizabeth Davis (17), second daughter of the Missionary Rev. Richard Davis.