Rawene is a town on the south side of the Hokianga harbour, in Northland, New Zealand. State Highway 12 passes to the south. The town lies at the apex of a peninsula. A car ferry links it to Kohukohu and the northern Hokianga. The population was 438 in the 2006 Census, a decrease of 24 from 2001. Rawene started as a timber centre, with a mill and shipyards established in the early 19th century. An attempted settlement by the first New Zealand Company in 1826 failed. Captain James Herd in 1822 had taken out the first shipment of Kauri from the Hokianga in his ship Providence.
In 1825 he returned as an agent for the company sailing the Rosanne in company with the Lampton, and 60 settlers between the two vessels. They began at Stewart Island/Rakiura and sailed up the east coast, leaving Lampton as a place name in Wellington, eventually rounding North Cape to enter Hokianga - his old stamping ground. Herd negotiated to buy a vast tract of land. The deal was contested but for decades Europeans referred to the town as "Herd's Point". Later it was called "Hokianga Township", and in 1884 it became "Rawene", possibly to identify the post office and telegraph.