Built in 1903/04 by the government, this hut used to be a stop-over for stage coaches. The walls are constructed of a double layer of corrugated iron with a layer of pumice sandwiched between for insulation. This was the first hut built in Tongariro National Park, and the oldest example of a typical early two-room mountain hut in New Zealand. No longer used for accommodation, this hut is preserved as an historical building and is classified by the Historic Places Trust.
20 min return from the new Waihohonu Hut
10 min return from the Round the Mountain Track
3 hr (6.3 km) return from Desert Road (State Highway 1)