A short walk from the back of the Waikaremoana Motor Camp up to Whaitiri Point offers good views of the lake. Whaitiri Point was once the site of the Lake House Hotel, for years the only accommodation close to the lake. It opened in 1900 and became the official Government Tourist Hotel in 1909. In 1918-19 it closed briefly during an influenza epidemic. But by 1930 the Wairoa-Rotorua Road had opened and the hotel had launched its own boat, the "Ruapani". Further improvements were made and in 1956 the Tourist Hotel Corporation took responsibility. Because of financial difficulties the hotel was closed in 1972, and demolished 5 years later. Directly across the road from Whaitiri Point the Ngamoko Track begins.
Time: 20 min one way