Tenancingo de Degollado is a city and the municipal seat of the municipality Tenancingo located in Mexico State, Mexico, although both are commonly known as Tenancingo. It is 26 miles (42 km) from Toluca, southwest of Mexico City. The name Tenancingo means "small (outdoor) walls" in Náhuatl. It is the see city of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Tenancingo, newly created by Pope Benedict XVI in November 2009 as a suffragan diocese to the Archdiocese of Mexico, with its territory taken from the Diocese of Toluca. It is situated on the central Mexican plateau at an altitude of 2,020 m and had a population of 30,047 in 2005. The town's economy is principally agricultural, concentrating on the production of grain, sugarcane, fruit, vegetables and livestock. There is also an important production of ikat shawls "rebozos" with elaborately knotted fringes.
The area was first settled between 1800 an 1300 BC with remains found around the hills of Nixcongo, Exhacienda de Monte de Pozo and Tepoxtepec showing Olmec influence. During the Pre-classic and Classic periods the area was dominated by the Tarascan. During the Aztec invasion of the area, the Tenancingo chief Tezozomoctli, collaborated with Axayacatl to subdue the rival chief Chicaquiauh of Malinalco and to conquer Calpulli de Coapipitzoatepec (Xochiaca). In return, he remained an independent chieftain within the Aztec Empire. In 1535, after the Conquest, the area was given to Juan Salcedo. In 1537, the Augustinians evangelized the area and built a hermitage here. The modern town of Tenancingo was founded by the Spanish in 1551 near the older native settlements at the base of the Hill of Las Tres Marías (The Three Marias). In 1771, the Carmelites built a monastery here. In 1861, the village gained town status, and in1878, Tenancingo was recognized as a city.