Puerto Ángel is a small coastal town in the Mexican state of Oaxaca located in the municipality of San Pedro Pochutla. It, along with San Agustinillo and Playa Zipolite are known as the "Riviera Oaxaqueña. It is located 9 km south of city of Pochutla fifty km west of Huatulco and eighty km east of Puerto Escondido. Despite tourism development since the 1960s, the town is still mostly a fishing village, located on a small bay surrounding by rocky hills that lead into the Sierra Madre del Sur. It was founded in the mid 19th century as a port for the region’s coffee and lumber industries but since then other means of shipping these products has replaced it.
The community was founded in the 1850s when, through the efforts of Benito Juárez, the government built a wharf. At that time, this was a very isolated part of the country and the port was designed to help the area develop its coffee and lumber industries, by giving it a means to ship these products to other parts of the country. The port reached its height by 1870 and was the busiest port in the state of Oaxaca. However, after this time several developments lead to the port’s decline. A rail connection and road connected Salinas Cruz to the capital and it emerged as a port. Also federal sponsorship of the wharf faded after Juárez’s death.