The metro station is named after Avenida Barranca del Muerto, that was once a big depression, the same length of the actual avenue. During the Mexican Revolution (1910 – 1921) this was a place where revolutionary soldiers dropped many corpses. Eagles and buzzards flew nearby, smelling rotten flesh. Popular imagination refers to the dead people's souls and ghosts restlessly promenading near that big hole. Thus, Barranca del Muerto means something like "Dead Man's Gully". It serves Guadalupe Inn and Campestre neighborhoods.