St. George's Church on Lebuh Farquhar in George Town, Penang, Malaysia, is the oldest Anglican church in Southeast Asia. It is an active congregation in the Upper North Archdeaconry of the Diocese of West Malaysia within the Church of the Province of South East Asia. The landmark church was completed in 1818 on the initiative of the Penang Colonial Chaplain, Rev. Robert Sparke Hutchings (best known for his later founding of the Penang Free School). It was consecrated on 11 May 1819 by the Bishop of Calcutta, Thomas Fanshawe Middleton.
The cost of building the church was 60,000 Spanish Dollars. To give you a rough idea on the significance of that amount, Singapore was sold to the British sometime in 1819 for the same price! On 11 May 1819, the church was consecrated by The Rt. Rev. Thomas Middleton, Bishop of Calcutta. On 6 July 2007, the church was declared one of the 50 National Treasures of Malaysia by the Malaysian government. It underwent a major restoration in 2009.