Bintulu is home to the first legislative assembly meeting of Sarawak. It was held way back in 1867. With Charles Brooke, the second white Rajah of Sarawak in the chair, there sat 5 of his British Officers and 16 Malay and Melanau Members (Chiefs) to mark a new era in the conduct of the affairs of the state. A centenary stone commemorating the centennial of the historical meeting was erected on this site in 1967 and was further improved to include a clock tower and fountain in 1987, the fountain was attractively fenced up in November 1998 for safety and aesthetical purpose. The monument can be found by visitors on their way to the heart of Bintulu town.