The Museum of the Imperial Collections Sannomaru-Shōzōkan (三の丸尚蔵館), known in Japanese as the Sannomaru Shozokan, is located on the grounds of the East Garden of Tokyo Imperial Palace. It showscases a changing exhibition of a part of the imperial household treasures. Entrance is free.
The Museum of the Imperial Collections was conceived during the change from the Shōwa period (1926 – 1989) to the present Heisei period. The Imperial family donated 6,000 pieces of art to the Japanese government in 1989. The museum was opened in 1993 for the study and preservation of the art collection. The collection was further enlarged by the donation of the art collection of Prince Chichibu (1902 – 1953) in 1996 and the collection of Empress Kōjun (1903 – 2000) in 2001.