Matsudo is a city located in northern Chiba Prefecture, Japan. As of February 2011, the city had an estimated population of 484,578 and a population density of 7900 persons per Square kilometer. The total area was 61.33 Square kilometers. Matsudo is located in the far northwestern corner of Chiba Prefecture, bordered by the Edogawa River to the west. The area around Matsudo has been inhabited since prehistoric times, and archaeologists have found remains from the Jomon period, as well as burial tumuli from the Kofun period. During the Edo period, the area was tenryo controlled directly by the Tokugawa shogunate, and contained a number of horse ranches providing war horses for the Shoguns armies. It also developed as a post station on the Mito Kaido connecting Edo with Mito. After the Meiji Restoration, Matsudo Town was created in Higashikatsushika District Chiba Prefecture in 1878. Matsudo attained city status on October 1, 1943.