is a patrician villa originally in the territory of the Italian commune of Frascati
(Latium, central Italy
), now in the territory of Monte Porzio Catone (Alban Hills
). It lies on a hill 416m above sea-level, in an area called, from its many castles and villas, Castelli Romani about 20 km (12 mi) southeast of Rome
, near the ancient town of Tusculum
Villa Mondragone was at its maximum splendour during the epoch of the Borghese family (including Cardinal Scipione Borghese and Pope Paul V), who exhibited parts of their art and antiquities collections there (including the Antinous Mondragone which derives its name from the villa).
In 1858 George Sand was guest in the villa, and found there a suitable atmosphere for the setting of her novel La Daniella. In 1865 the Jesuits turned it into a college, the Nobile Collegio Mondragone, for young aristocrats, which operated until 1953.
During the Second World
War the college was also used as a shelter for evacuees.
In 1981 it was sold by the Order of the Jesuits to the University, where as of modern times, the Villa remains a peripheral seat of the University of Rome Tor Vergata.
In 1912 Wilfrid Michael Voynich acquired here the famous Voynich manuscript from the Jesuits. The facility, in need of funds, was discreetly selling some of its holdings. Voynich purchased 30 manuscripts, one of which was later to be known as the Voynich manuscript, though the work itself dates to the early 1400s.