The Teutonic Cemetery is a burial site adjacent to St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City. Located where once stood the Circus of Nero, during the period of the Roman Empire, it was the site of the martyrdom of many of the early Christians of the city.
During the Middle Ages, a school was built at the site, supposedly by the Emperor Charlemagne. In the 15th century, it became dedicated to the German-speaking residents of the city. There are two institutes of study and two chapels attached to the cemetery, one being the burial place of the Swiss Guards who fell in defense of the city against the forces of the new Kingdom of Italy in 1870. Today the cemetery is reserved for the burial of German-speaking members of the various religious institutions in Rome.