Sant'Elmo is the name of both a hill and a fortress in Naples
, located near the Certosa di San Martino
. Together, the structures overlook Naples and are the most visible landmarks in the city. The name "Sant'Elmo" is from an old 10th-century church, Sant'Erasmo
, that name being shortened to "Ermo" and, finally, "Elmo".
The first information we have concerning the majestic fortress that presides over the city of Naples dates from 1275, when some relatives of Charles d'Anjou are known to have been living there. Known originally as Belforte, it must have been merely a fortified residence, foursquare and surrounded by walls, its entrance gate marked by two turrets.