The Free Port of Trieste, is a port on North Adriatic Sea in Trieste, Italy. It is subdivided into 5 different Free Areas, 3 of which have been allotted to commercial activities. The remaining two, the Mineral Oils Free Area and the “Canale di Zaule” Free Area, are used for industrial activities. The port is articulated in various terminals, managed by private companies.
In the period between the beginning of 1700 and 1850, Trieste was mainly an emporium and was given the status of Free Port by Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor in 1719. In 1740, when Empress Maria Theresa of Austria took power, one of the first measures she adopted was to extend the borders of the Free Port area to the periphery of the town, thereby merging together the emporium, the port, the new city and the old one.