Piazza Armerina is an Italian comune in the Province of Enna of the autonomous island region of Sicily. The city of Piazza originated during the Norman domination in Sicily but the area was inhabited since prehistoric times. The city was flourishing also during Roman times, as showed by the notable mosaics at the patrician Villa Romana del Casale.
The town is famous chiefly for its Roman mosaics in the Villa Romana del Casale, about 3 km to the southwest. It has a range of significant architecture dating from medieval through the 18th century. The discovery and excavation of the well-preserved, highly refined mosaics has helped attract tourists.
The massive Baroque Cathedral (17th-18th century), built on the 15th-century foundations of a former church, from which the bell tower was taken and reused.
The nearby Palazzo Trigona, house of the wealthy family who commissioned the church.
The Church of Fundrò, known also as St. Roch, with a carved tufa portal.
The nearby Palazzo di Città (1613), characterized by a fresco ceiling by Salvatore Martorana.
The massive Aragonese Castle (1392–96). It is square in shape, with square towers.
The church of San Giovanni Evangelista (14th century), with an interior covered with frescos by Guglielmo Borremans and assistants.
The baroque church of Sant'Anna (18th century), with its original sinuos facade inspired by the buildings of Borromini.
The church of St. Martin of Tours (1163).
The church of Santa Maria di Gesù (16th century), now abandoned.