Monopoli is a town and comune in Italy, in the province of Bari, region of Apulia. The town is roughly 156 square km in area and lies about 40 km southeast from Bari. It has about 50,000 inhabitants.
The city is important mostly as an agricultural, industrial and touristic centre. The area was first settled as a Greek establishment as the city of Gnatia, Monopoli being a smaller outer village known as Dyria, of Peucetian origins.
Castle of Charles V. Finished in 1522, it has a pentagonal plan. It is located on a promontory which was originally separated from the medieval city. It was restored and enlarged in the 17th century. Starting from the early 19th century, it was used as a jail, a status it kept until 1969. It is currently the seat of art exhibition and cultural events.
Coastal castle of St. Stephen, built by the Norman lord Godfrey of Conversano in 1086. It was subsequently turned into a Benedictine monastery. It has a circular plan.
Jerusalem Hospital, founded in 1350 by the Hospitaller
Palazzo Palmieri (18th century)
Monte San Nicola (Mount St.Nicholas) faunal reserve. The reserve, lying on the summit of a 290-meter-high hill in the Murge plateau, is important for the presence of some endemic plants.