Pavia the ancient Ticinum, is a town and comune of south-western Lombardy, northern Italy, 35 km south of Milan on the lower Ticino river near its confluence with the Po. It is the capital of the Province of Pavia. It has a population of c. 71,000. The city achieved its greatest political importance between 568 and 774, as the capital of the Kingdom of the Lombards.
Pavia is the capital of a fertile eponymous province known for agricultural products including wine, rice, cereals, and dairy products. Although there are a number of industries located in the suburbs, these tend not to disturb the peaceful atmosphere of the town.
- The Certosa, or Carthusian monastery, founded in 1396
- Cathedral of Pavia (Duomo di Pavia), begun in 1488.
- San Michele Maggiore (St. Michael).
- The Basilica of San Pietro in Ciel d'Oro ("St. Peter in Golden Sky").
- San Francesco d'Assisi, a late Romanesque church (1238–98).
- San Teodoro (1117), dedicated to Theodore of Pavia.
- The large fortified Castello Visconteo (built 1360-1365 by Galeazzo II Visconti).
- The church of Santa Maria del Carmine.
- The renaissance church of Santa Maria di Canepanova is attributed to Bramante.
- The medieval towers still shape the town skyline.
Universities, Colleges and other Institutions:
Pavia is a major Italian college town, with several institutes, universities and academies, including the ancient University of Pavia. Here is an incomplete list of the main institutions located in the city:
- The University of Pavia, one of the most ancient universities in Europe, was founded in 1361.
- The Borromeo College (Ital. Almo Collegio Borromeo), founded in 1561 by Carlo Borromeo.
- The Ghislieri College (Ital. Collegio Ghislieri), founded in 1567 by Pope Pius V.
- The IUSS Pavia or the "Istituto Universitario di Studi Superiori" of Pavia.